The History of the Regiment
The Regiment was first raised in 1642 in the county of Somerset by Sir Thomas Lunsford, and was known as Sir Thomas Lunsford's Regiment of Foote. Sir Thomas was captured at the Battle of Edgehill and imprisoned until 1644.
His brother Colonel Henry Lunsford then took over command of the regiment until his death during the Siege of Bristol in July 1643.
Prince Rupert then assumed command as he had been impressed by the regiment's fighting abilities, and appointed John Russell as Lieutenant Colonel to the regiment. The regiment was part of the army taken north by Prince Rupert to Lancashire where it took part in the relief of Lathom House, the stormings of Bolton and Liverpool and then marched across the Pennines with Rupert to the relief of York. They then fought at the Battle of Marston Moor as part of the Forlorn Hope.
In May 1645 they assembled at Evesham as part of the King's Army and were involved in the storming of Leicester - this is where Rupert's men are referred to as Bluecoats in accounts of the fighting. Two weeks later the Bluecoats formed part of the reserve at the Battle of Naseby where the majority of the regiment were slain. The remnants eventually ended up as part of the garrison of Bristol and were disbanded by the King after Rupert surrendered the city.